You’ll Love This Job!
Swim Specialists provide campers with swimming instruction, supervision, and surveillance in the pool and pool area throughout the camp day. Most swim specialists have prior aquatic experience at a competitive or club level and many have taught swimming in the past. For applicants seeking a position in the pool, Lifeguard Certification is highly encouraged and lifeguards will receive additional compensation. Our swim staff helps ensure a safe environment at Decoma’s pool and helps us to achieve our goal — that all campers are equipped with the skills and confidence in the water to be able to participate and enjoy the experience throughout their lives.
The Pool Staff job is for eight full weeks, Monday through Friday from approximately 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There are several mandatory pre-camp training sessions during the two weeks prior to the camp season.
We would love for you to join our team if you…
- LOVE KIDS! This is of supreme importance!
- Possess excellent character, integrity and adaptability.
- Exhibit enthusiasm, a sense of humor, patience and self-control.
- Are able to work outside with kids in summer heat. for several hours at a time.
- Accept supervision and guidance.
All swim specialists
- Demonstrate skill and experience in aquatic activity.
- Have desire and ability to work with children outdoors in the water.
- Have current certification in lifeguard training or equivalent.
- Have current certification in first aid and CPR.
- Supervise and guard all pool activities.
- Help provide swim instruction based on our camp’s established Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Program.
- Provide surveillance during aquatic activities to help prevent and to manage injuries.
- Provide rescues as needed.
- Utilize first aid and CPR and other emergency management services as needed.
- Set a good example for the group and acts as a role model for campers in regard to camp policy, procedures and philosophy.
- Work collaboratively with other staff and management.
- Participate in pre-camp training and ongoing in-service training.